PRISONER LANDMARK UNDER THREAT
In 1966/67 when The Prisoner's location filming was taking place in Portmeirion, each evening the crew working on the series would view the days filming at nearby Porthmadog's Coliseum Cinema.
For the second time in recent years, the Coliseum is under threat. So much so that a group of concerned locals have launched a "Save the Coliseum" campaign, which TUW wholeheartedly supports.
Aled Jones, of the "Friends of the Coliseum" group, told TUW; "'Friends of the Coliseum' is a not-for-profit company with the sole aim of saving, renovating and re-opening the cinema. As a not-for-profit, we are very different from the consortium of shareholders who saved it in 1983. As a corporation, they are ineligible for grants and public funding - as a not-for-profit we are eligible for all such funding. Our aim is to lease the Coliseum building from the shareholders who own it and run it ourselves. We plan to have film festivals, kids matinees, OAP matinees, live events, seasonal festivities, midnight summer screenings... and more."
Rather than just in need of a facelift, the threat on this occasion is of complete closure after nearly 80 years in existance. Not only is the cinema an important part of "Prisoner" history (for more details, and an interview with the original projectionist, click HERE), it is an invaluable local service for the community of that part of North Wales with its own rich history.
To further support the cause, it has been decided that 10% of TUW's profits will be donated to the cause (with the other 90% of course towards TUW's Event fund for Ty Gobaith Hospice) until further notice.
PORTMEIRION HOST HALLOWEEN EVENT TO SUPPORT COLISEUM
Portmeirion themselves have joined the campaign! Thanks to Managing Director Robin Llywelyn, the Hercules Hall plays venue to a special Halloween Event on Friday 28th October 2011. To purchase tickets, visit http://www.savethecoliseum.com (you can use the same site for more campaign information or to make a donation - please mention The Unmutual Website when doing so).
With thanks to Aled Jones and Bucks Fizz Tony for this news item.
News announced: 11/10/2011 News Archived 12/2/2013